As the weather gets warmer and decisions are made about keeping a home or selling it for greener pastures, I thought I would give you some tips on how to prepare your home for a summer sale.
We’ve all heard the saying ‘April Showers Bring May Flowers.’ With all the snow we’ve had in Mammoth Lakes this winter, there will be built in watering for months. That means lawns and flower beds will have heavy growth spurts, lots of mowing and pruning.
In addition to taking care of the lawns and flower beds, here are a few other ways to make your home stand out for potential buyers:
- Maintaining lawn and landscaping
- Clean exterior – siding and gutters
- Make repairs – broken windows, screens, roof tiles
- Paint the front door – replace old and worn house numbers as well
- Replace the welcome mat – a matted, falling apart, years’ old mat is not inviting
- Remove clutter – that includes removing personal photos and items and minimalizing the furnishings. A good rule of thumb is to remove 50% of your current belongings from the home.
- Organize – the biggest eye sores are junk drawers and closets. Now is the time to clean and organize them
- Paint walls neutral – keeping your kids’ room that bubble gum pink might not be the best way to showcase the room. Return all walls to neutral colors
- Eliminate odors – walk through your home and notice what smells rise up to greet you. Is there a little box, trash collecting, garbage disposals needing refreshing
- Make necessary interior repairs – leaky faucets, caulking, stained or torn carpeting
Here’s a link to DIY projects by budget that will improve the value of your home. It doesn’t have to take much to make small improvements, but you can do more if you wish. Always talk to your Realtor to decide which changes will get the most bang for your buck in your area.
Call Sonja today at 661-979-9000 to get an idea of what immediate improvements will help your home sell faster, or email her to schedule an appointment at [email protected].